LMU Munich, November 15 and 16, 2018
In recent years, the problem of freedom and determinism has received special attention in the analytic debate. The aim of the conference is to bring together both speakers from the analytic tradition and more historically oriented researchers. Prof. Peter van Inwagen (Notre Dame) will give a keynote lecture, and other presentations by leading scholars and young researchers will follow.
The conference will cover the following topics:
- The Consequence Argument and its Critics
- Formal Approaches to the Problem of Free Will
- Aristotle on Determinism
- Freedom and Determinism in Medieval Philosophy
- Freedom and Determinism in Early Modern Philosophy
- Freedom and Determinism in Kant
- Freedom and Determinism in German Idealism
The conference is kindly supported by the German Research Foundation and the Munich Center for Ethics (MKE).